Monday, September 3, 2012

Things from my father

Sitting in the back of my truck was this big box I had put off going through - because I realized it held alot of little papers and things to go through, mostly from my dad ... and I took a deep breath and went through them just now!  Here are the more interesting things I found:

Before the Alzheimer's, in 1996, he recv'd a careless driving ticket not too far from home, for his 'usual driving style' ;-  and it was right around this time of year, too!

And then there is post Alzheimer's :  a copy of a monthly bill from Potomac Homes, which took no insurance, so it was credit card, cash, or check - $4,450.00.  That's for one month - and he lived there for the last year of his life.  I remember each and every time I paid a bill, I had two feelings:  (a) I was very grateful to my parents for having the foresight to save! and (b) without a husband, being longterm disabled with no savings, no responsible adult child, either - what in the hell was going to happen to ME?!

A printout from the computer when someone researched where his brother was lost in WW2 :
Walter William Waseck  on the ship John L Morley, in Bari, Italy, on 12/2/43 (their poor parents, losing a son right before Christmas!) 

And a copy of a poem he had lots of copies of, so he must have really loved it! It was written by Frankie Palacio hours before his death - it really speaks to me, and so those parts especially I have distinguished:
When I must leave you for a little while,
Please do not grieve an shed wild tears,
AND HUG YOUR SORROW TO YOU THROUGH THE YEARS
But start out bravely with a gallant smile,
And for my sake and in my name,
Live on and do all the things the same,
Feed not your loneliness on empty days,
But fill each waking hour in useful ways.
Reach out your hand in comfort and cheer,
And I in turn will comfort you and hold you near,
And never, never be afraid to die,
For I am waiting for you in the sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment