Friday, August 10, 2012

Why I'm Not in my Childhood Home

I'm disabled, on a fixed income ... and yeahhh that means I really kiss the poverty line.  I make well under $10,000 a year.  I'm counting what actually hits the bank - not what's on paper and then they make deductions for health care.

My childhood home?  Why would you sell your childhood home, Jean?!

Taxes: $7,113

The biggest option I had for holding on to it was to rent out the two bedrooms, which could use the hall bath exclusively, and which were connected, actually, so I could do a mom and kiddy (s) deal.  Let's see what type of rent I could possibly generate for this, based on Craigslist, that would match what I had:



 One unfurnished large bedroom and share bathroom (rent $685)
>> Central Air & Central Heat.
>> Plenty of closet space
>> Living room ,  kitchen, refrigerator, range/oven, dishwasher.
>> Safe area with plenty parking spaces.
>> Conveniently located near NJ turnpike, rt.287, rt.1, rt.18, .



$765/month + half utilities and security deposit required.
-- Place has washer and dryer, central AC/heat.

$750  I am looking for a roommate to rent out a room in a large  ranch house.  All utilities and amenities included  Must be clean and responsible.


$750 month : Rent includes all the utilities. Private Bed-Room is big enough to share between two people and rent will be differnt if two people will share the room. Easy commute t any major highways. Quit neighborhood and a huge back yard for summer outdoor activities. House has a dinning room, laundry room (dryer and washer included) and also a kitchen. plenty of storage

Large room share bath and storage with one .  Rent 750.00 per month

Large room,  full bathroom next to bedroom Room is cable/internet ready, A/C with lots of light, Access to kitchen, yard  as well as washer and dryer can be discussed. Ideal for professional, grad student, or even airline industry workers who need a place when in town. MUST be pet/dog friendly. $800 includes utilities



So, on paper at least, I could have swung the taxes - not the utilities, not the upkeep, not the oh my God something ELSE broke now! - with about ten months rent IF I had a consistent tenant ... but that's not the least of it --

At that time, I had just tossed my daughter out on her ear - for bringing drugs into a sober house.  Sneaking them.  And alcohol.  This is after the hookup guy who brought cockroaches in his backpack (another story, that one) ... 

So - if a relative did that to me - why would I want to rent to a complete stranger?!  "Stranger Danger" ;-

And so I sold.  

And so I am a nomad.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this post. I found it very useful to read. Sharing your experiences is powerful. The up keep of a home is intense and room mates are horrible. My parents divorced when I was young and sold my childhood home and I feel as if I have been a nomad moving between them ever since. I try to find homes in the people and places I love. Thank you for your words!

    -Nico

    www.SatinAndSalt.com

    ReplyDelete