Monday, April 9, 2012

Our Easter visitor, from around the bend

On Easter Sunday, I was taking CoCo for a walk ... and as it was a beautiful day out!, and as it was a holiday, I decided we were going to go a slightly different route than we usually do ... and so, basically, we were across the street and just around the bend in the road, in front of the two-story brick house, when this happened - when our Easter visitor arrived ....

CoCo was sniffing the lawn along the side of their house, and I was looking directly at her - so that's how I couldn't miss how this happened:  A dog came flying through the second floor window!!!! I was just standing there, rooted to the lawn, incredulous - and very frightened, that this poor animal was going to be maimed! - and there were none of the usual vehicles parked in front of the detached garage they never use (sure -it was a holiday)! Instead, this absolutely gorgeous Sheltie puppy landed ably on all four paws and just strolled over like - "hi!  thought I'd drop in!!!"

The doggy was friendly - AND following us - AND didn't have a clue about cars, so I crossed her... as I wanted someone to help me out here, I considered myself very fortunate to find some neighbors in the apt building where I live, home and outside, and I told them my incredible story of the doggy who flew through the window!  As they petted her, and tried to grab a hold of her, at one point using a chicken-flavored treat, they filled me in that the female homeowner works a considerable distance away - AND her son just killed himself four months ago ;- so no one exactly wanted to be paging her at work!  I realized that the age of the dog was about the time of her son's demise, which was actually significant, but I didn't even realize at that point ...

Not knowing what else to do, having done things like this in the past, I simply walked me and CoCo down to our door and - yep, the Sheltie came right in, like she lived here!  Because she was friendly, I checked her collar :  she had a rabies tag, but not a name tag ...so I started calling her 'Jeni' and she immediately responded to the name!  "Maybe I got lucky?  Maybe it sounds like something close to her actual name?"  Anyway ... me, CoCo, and Jeni had a pleasant afternoon :  as I actually had Myndie's old leash in here, we went on walks ; at some points, I was sitting here on the computer with TWO sleeping dogs, which was sweet ....

What was odd about Jeni, tho, was that she had no idea what a treat was and didn't want any part of it, and -very disturbing for a puppy! - she had no idea how to play -which made me think of benign neglect:  she was vetted and groomed, sure, but apparently not really a part of the family with the Colonial lamppost on the lawn ....

As the afternoon wore on, a problem developed ...CoCo is 15, and she tires easily, and just likes to go behind furniture and nap ... Jeni didn't get that.  CoCo snapped.  Uh-oh.  No longer having a big house or a yard, I figured it was time to figure out something else for our visitor ...

I re-leashed Jeni and we walked back to the house ... hmmm.  The yard wasn't fenced.  Yes, there was a small, all-screened, side porch - which seemed to hold household clutter, without any floor space.  In addition, the access was only from the back yard  - and I didn't want to go traipsing through someone's backyard, anyway.  Not knowing what to do, I decided to walk Jeni over to the immediate neighbor ...

The young woman who answered the door didn't actually live there -she was visiting her mom for the holiday -but she knew the daughter who lived in the brick house w/ white shutters next door and she had her on her cell phone! - which I took to be a real God-sign!!!  She called her up, repeating my "through the window" story with a look at me like I was crazy - and she was suprised to learn that apparently this doggy does this often! - that the family comes home and finds her lounging on the lawn ;-  The daughter told her where the outside key was, and how to fix the screened window.  And one more thing --

"Wait!" cried the woman neighbor.  "What's her name?"

They never gave the dog a name.

My heart just broke.  Sure, I understood it on an intellectual basis ... but on a heart basis?

My heart tore off a little piece for our Easter visitor from around the bend ... a beautiful and intelligent young dog who was apparently adopted to stem the tide of a deep family tragedy, but never really made 'part of' the house w/ the wooden chair on the front stoop ...

...an Easter visitor who has my heart, and now, has my eyes on, as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment